These are the 12 steps I have found that set people free from the compulsion to overeat and eventually lead them to a state of permanent weight loss.
The 12 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss
1. Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied – not overly full or stuffed. Eat what you really want. Don’t deny yourself food or make certain foods forbidden.
2. Learn to process your emotions and get your emotional needs met without turning to food.
3. Check in with yourself at least four to six times a day. Ask: “What’s my hunger level? Am I hungry for food or am I hungry for emotional nourishment? How can I best meet this need or feeling?”
4. Choose to be happy now. Live in the present. Embrace the fact that you’re never going to be perfect, eat perfectly or have the perfect life. You are good enough as is. This doesn’t mean there isn’t room for growth and improvement. As long as you’re alive, you will be a work in progress.
5. Stop looking for something outside of yourself to fix or rescue you. Become an active, willing, and responsible partner in your own healing journey. Get honest about the ways you hide from life. Get willing to look at and own how you’re getting in your own way.
6. Make daily time for stillness. Honor and listen to the still, small voice within. Develop a relationship with your inner wisdom, a Higher Power or God, however you might define that. Ask that power for strength and guidance daily.
7. Make peace that you live in a body, and respect its limits. Treat that body with love and respect. Reconnect with your joy of movement.
8. Befriend the critical shaming voice inside of you. Replace it with encouraging words and affirmations.
9. Practice self-forgiveness and loving-kindness.
10. Tell yourself a story of empowerment, not victimhood. Begin to question the story you tell yourself why you don’t have the happiness or the life that you really want. Learn to see the fear underneath your excuses. Question the story of your unworthiness and defectiveness. You have the power to create another story. Begin now.
11. Stop settling for comfort and fleeting pleasure. Embrace change and take greater risks to move forward. Set realistic goals and take action to achieve them.
12. Nourish your passions and engage your true appetite for life. Share your gifts and light with the world.
Feast for the Eyes – Photo by Catherine L. Taylor
- Has making certain foods forbidden worked for me in the long run? Has dieting worked long term? If so, what about it has worked?
- Do I eat only when hungry? Do I honor what my body truly wants or do I give it what appeals to my mind, eyes, and impulses in the moment?
- Do I eat past the point of satisfied and satiated? What would happen if I ate what I wanted only when hungry, in moderate amounts and exercised?
- Do I believe that someday I will lose all my weight and then I will never have to think about it again? Or do I accept the fact that weight is never cured, it’s managed by my daily choices?
I eat only when hungry.
I meet my emotional needs in a healthy manner.
I call on a Higher Power, however I define that, for strength and guidance daily.
I move my body with the playfulness of a child.
I embrace change.
I am ready to share and connect with others.
I am developing my gifts and talents so that I may fulfill my potential.
Is emotional eating keeping you from losing weight and living the life you want? Are you ready to master your weight and your life?
If so, you may be a candidate for coaching. Coaching can make the difference between success and failure.
I have found that people who struggle with food and emotional eating are released from that prison once they learn the skills of mindful awareness and mindful eating, emotional self-nurturing, developing a spiritual or meditation practice, and learning to set appropriate limits and goals.
This turns off the urge to overeat and engage in other compulsive behaviors. When you feel better, you eat better! I have walked this path myself, and it has led me to peace and freedom.
The goal of my coaching is to create a lighter, balanced, healthier, nourishing and joy-filled life. You will begin to see results in all areas of your life because How You do Food is How You do Life!®
I coach and mentor people in the areas of: permanent weight loss, food addiction, compulsive, emotional overeating, binge eating recovery, creative self expression, spiritual direction, mindfulness, meditation, self care and stress management, self esteem and body image issues.
Note: My work is spiritually focused, not religious, and fits with any belief system you may have, even agnostic. My work assumes that you have all the wisdom and answers you need inside of you.
What you call this place — God, intuition, Higher Power, inner wisdom, or True Self — is up to you. I am simply a guide bringing you back to the truths that are already inside of you.
If you want to know more about why and how coaching works click here.
If you’d like a free consultation click here!
I hope you have enjoyed my newsletter. Drop me a line and let me know how you are doing. I love to hear what’s working for you and read about your success stories.
Catherine L. Taylor’s Thinnerisms®
How You do Food is How You do Life!®
Please feel free to forward this newsletter on to friends and family.
Remember to white list me so that I don’t wind up in your spam folder!
©2013 Catherine L. Taylor. All rights reserved. No portion of this newsletter may be reprinted in any form without express permission from the author.
If you are reading this newsletter and are not a subscriber, but would like to be, subscribe here!